Cook the linguine or spaghetti in plenty of lightly salted boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes until just tender, or follow the pack instructions.
Meanwhile, melt the butter and gently fry the chilli until softened for about 2 minutes. Add the soft cheese and milk. Heat gently, stirring constantly with a small whisk or wooden spoon, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from the heat and stir occasionally.
Drain the cooked pasta, and return it to the saucepan. Add the crab, capers and cheese sauce. Heat for a few moments, stirring gently. Season with freshly ground black pepper, then share between four warm plates or bowls.
Cook’s Tip: Serve at once, scattered with the parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
• 400g (14oz) linguine or spaghetti
• 25g (1oz) butter
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
• 200g (7oz) soft cheese (plain or with herbs and garlic)
• 3 tbsp milk
• 350g (12oz) wild Alaska crab meat, cooked and flaked
• 2-3 tbsp capers, drained
• 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Basil leaves, to garnish