PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 12 minutes
Drain the canned salmon, discarding the liquid. Remove any skin and bones, if wished, then break half the salmon into chunks. Mash the remainder with a fork.
Put the lentils and chick peas into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Tip into a bowl and mix in the mashed salmon and salmon chunks, courgette, spring onions, lime rind, lime juice and beaten egg. Season with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into four large or eight small patties. Chill for 10 minutes.
Preheat the grill. Arrange the patties on a baking sheet and brush with a little olive oil. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, make the relish by mixing together the yogurt, mint and coriander.
Serve the patties, accompanied by the relish.
Cook’s tip: These patties are delicious served in warm pitta bread, stuffed with salad. If you’d like to spice them up a bit, add a little finely chopped red or green chilli to the salmon mixture.
• 1 x 416g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 1 x 400g can green lentils, rinsed and drained
• 1 x 400g can chick peas, rinsed and drained
• 1 medium courgette, grated
• 4 spring onions, finely chopped
• Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
• 1 egg, beaten
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Olive oil, for brushing
• 200g (7oz) low fat plain yogurt
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander